Visit Dahlonega – Site of the first Gold Rush in the USA! – Just 15 minutes away.
- Underground gold mine tours and panning for gold and gems – A rain or shine activity.
- Gold Museum
- Visit the gold stamp mill.
- Tons of shopping and dining opportunities.
- Canoe & Kayak rentals with return shuttle available.
- Mountain Bike & Motorcycle rentals available.
- Chestatee Wildlife Preserve
- Five wineries – Belly up to the cask bar!
- See a movie or play at the historic Holly Theater
- Play golf on a Jack Nichlaus designed golf course at Achasta
Shop 'Til You Drop!
- Visit Dahlonega’s historic town square. This quaint “piazza” with over 100 unique shops and eclectic restaurants, so when you get hungry from your afternoon of exploring all that this town has to offer there’s plenty of great food experiences to be found. Local favorites include the Corkscrew Cafe for fine dining in a casual atmosphere, the Irish Pub for beer and Irish treats, Piazza’s for Italian food, Porterhouse for a steak, and The Back Porch Oyster Bar for oysters and seafood. It’s very easy to spend an entire day here and it’s just 15 minutes from Forrest Hills.
- For the shop-a-holics, the North Georgia Premium Outlets in Dawsonville featuring over 120 name brand stores and is just 20 minutes away. If driving from the Atlanta area via GA400 you will pass it on your way here. You’ll find Sax 5th Avenue, Coach, Nike, Adidas and all of your favorites here. If your man isn’t too afraid to leave you with the credit card here, he could spend the afternoon golfing, visit the North Georgia Racing Hall of Fame, at Home Depot across the street :), or simply relax at Forrest Hills.
Dahlonega Winery Tours
- There are currently six (and soon-to-be seven) wineries all within 30 miles of Forrest Hills.
- Rent a limo for the day!
Cruise The North Georgia Mountains On Your Motorcycle
Start with a ride to Suches, GA and stop for lunch at the TWO club (Two Wheels Only).
Hike The Appalachian Trail
- Springer Mountain is the very beginning of the Appalachian Trail which is just 5 miles from us.
- Explore Amicalola Falls – The highest waterfall East of the Mississippi
- Let us pack a picnic lunch for you to enjoy at the Edge of the World.
- Take the Richard Russell scenic highway
- The Olympic Ocoee River is a gorgeous 52 mile ride from Forrest Hills. This river is dam controlled and is closed 2 days midweek.
- Nantahala River Rafting is about 65 miles from us and available every day during the summer.
Animal Lover’s Day
- Horseback Riding At Forrest Hills with Gold City Corral
- Chestatee Wildlife Preserve in Dahlonega
- North Georgia Petting Zoo
Cowboy For A Day
- Enjoy a morning horseback ride, but before you ride you can get to know your steed. Brush your horse down, give them treats and help saddle them up!
- Go skeet shooting in Dawsonville just 15 minutes away – Shotgun rentals and everything you need can be provided
- End your day with a horse drawn wagon ride to the river house for a cookout! (Available to groups of 20-40 only)
Art Lover’s Day
- Visit Around Back At Rocky’s Place in Dawsonville full of locally produced folk art.
- Take the North Georgia arts tour any time. An open house art tour with local demonstrating artists is available in June and November. Click here to visit the Arts Tour Website. Please note this does not include all galleries as the North Georgia Arts Tour requires a a paid membership.
- You could even end your day with a play at the Historic Holly Theater in Dahlonega (when available)
Helen – A re-creation of an alpine village complete with cobblestone alleys and old-world towers.
- Our guests either love it or hate it. Those that hate it think it’s too “touristy” but there are some fun and interesting things to do here and it’s just a 45 minute drive from us.
- Anna Ruby Falls
- Mini Golf
- Lots of shopping
- Scenic Helicopter Tours
- Tubing, Pottery Museum, Water Park
- Live Tarantulas Gallery
Blue Ridge, GA
- Take a ride on the Blue Ridge Scenic Railway
- Antique Shopping
- Peach and Apple Country (Ellijay)…Bring me back a fried apple pie please!
Fun, Scenic Drive – Takes you through Dahlonega, Cleveland, Clarksville, ending in Clayton, GA
- Eat breakfast early. You’ll want to be hungry when you get to the Dillard House for lunch.
- Thrift Stores and local stands. Get some boiled peanuts along the way!
- Take a tour of Babyland General – Home of the Cabbage Patch Dolls in Cleveland
- Visit the Tallulah Gorge
- Stop and See Goats On A Roof
- Go to the Dillard House for lunch. They serve it family style and it just keeps on coming. The best time is in the summer as they have their own gardens. This is about an 1 1/2 hour drive without stopping.
- This is also where whitewater rafting on the Nantahala is done…and where the movie “Deliverance” with Burt Reynolds was filmed.
- Then drive straight back or stop at some of the places you missed along the way.
- Visit the world’s largest aquarium! The Georgia Aquarium is about an hour away.
- Spend some time in Centennial Park located at the entrance to the aquarium.
- Have lunch at the Sun Dial Restaurant located on the 73rd floor of the Westin Peachtree Plaza featuring a revolving dining room with a 360 degree view of the Atlanta sky line. You can go there for dinner if you like, but lunch is a bit more affordable.
- Visit the World of Coca Cola
- Shop Underground Atlanta